I’m a headshot and personal branding photographer based in East London. To me, portraiture is so much more than just good lighting and a fancy camera. It's about understanding people - their vulnerabilities, and their unique personalities. It's about empathy and creating a safe space where people can truly be themselves. That's why I take the time to really get to know each person I work with, to understand how they see themselves and how they want to be seen. Let's be honest, posing for headshots can be intimidating. But a little preparation and practice can go a long way to helping you feel more confident and look great in your photos. This blog will give you some tips and help you prepare as best as you can for the session.
1. Confirm the details: Make sure you know the date, time, and location of your shoot. Double-check the details with your photographer and confirm any additional information, such as what to wear or bring.
2. Plan your outfits: Choose your outfits for the shoot in advance and make sure they are clean and ironed. Bring a few options in case something doesn't look right on the day. Consider the colors and styles that will best represent you and your brand.
3. Hydrate and get rest: Drink plenty of water and get a good night's sleep before the shoot. This will help you look and feel your best on the day.
4. Hair and makeup: Consider hiring a professional hair and makeup artist for the shoot. If you are doing your own hair and makeup, make sure you have everything you need and practice your look in advance.
5. Props and accessories: Think about any props or accessories you might want to bring to the shoot. This could include items related to your brand or personal style.
6. Practice poses: Practice your poses in front of a mirror or with a friend. This will help you feel more comfortable and confident in front of the camera.
7. Pack a bag: Pack a bag with everything you'll need for the shoot, including any outfits, props, accessories, and touch-up items like makeup or hair products.
8. Arrive on time: Make sure you arrive at the shoot location on time. This will give you enough time to get ready and prepare for the shoot.
9. Relax and have fun: Remember to relax and have fun during the shoot. Your photographer will guide you through the process and help you feel comfortable in front of the camera.
By following this pre-photo shoot client checklist, you'll be well-prepared for your shoot and ready to create some amazing photos that showcase your unique personality and brand.
Thank you for taking the time to read this blog, I really hope it has helped answer some of the questions you might have had about preparing for a photoshoot. Please get in touch if you want to know more about booking a personal branding or headshot session with me or about any of the other photography services I offer, including:
Or if you would like to join my mailing list, you’ll be the first to hear about discounts, limited sessions and photography tips. Click here to join or get in touch!